I think we're losing Megan soon :-(

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

phoenixbbs

I think we're losing Megan soon :-(

Post by phoenixbbs »

Original post from when we first got her:
http://www.homealabrador.net/phpbb3/vie ... hp?t=16793

She's been a bit "not herself" recently, and we noticed she had some bleeding from her mouth for no obvious reason, so off to the vets we went last week... The vet thought it might be a tooth that needed to come out, but was off this week on holiday, so we had her booked in for next week.

Yesterday she developed noticeable swelling on her upper jaw under her eye, so we made an emergency appointment for antibiotics if nothing else to help reduce that, thinking it might be an abscess, which might have made removing the tooth more difficult, but booked her in for today to get the tooth out sooner rather than later.

So, we just got the call back... The tooth looked ok, but didn't have any bone around it... There's some sort of mass where we thought the abcess had flared up which they're doing a biopsy of, but we know the implications of the tumour / mass, and the lack of bone around the tooth pointing at bone cancer, and if she's already lost part of her jaw to cancer, the prognosis is poor as she'll have no quality of life :-(

https://imgur.com/a/NqCaZHZ
Meg in June this year
phoenixbbs

Re: I think we're losing Megan soon :-(

Post by phoenixbbs »

We got the call from the vet today :-(

It is cancer, the invasive kind that's prone to spread, on her hard palette. We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, but I think they're just going to offer painkillers and anti-inflammatories.

I think Meg's already decided what she wants though, she's been almost Zen-like in her demeanor, but she's only eaten a tiny chunk of corned beef all day. We saw this with our previous dog, content with their life and love they've been shown, happy to lie in the grass for hours just watching the world go on around them, knowing their race has been run, and the finish line is in sight :-(

We did manage to get some doggy Christmas stockings delivered earlier for her, but although she wagged her thanks, chewing was just too difficult.

I hope we lived up to your expectations love, I've just started leaking now :-(
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Aww, bless her heart. So sad to read your post. It’s a horrible time, but you are so in tune with Megan you’ll know when she’s had enough.

My heart goes out to you, and take heart that you have given Megan all the love in the world. Xx
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

Thanks, she's been put on Gabapentin and steroids to ease the pain and perk her appetite, she'd lost over 2lbs since they weighed her a week ago, so it's definitely taking it's toll on her. She's bleeding from her mouth regularly when she tries to eat, so we're on a mission to find the softest stuff possible that appeals to her :-}

Thankfully she is eating more, but it's limited to (from all the things we've tried), corned beef, ham trimmings from Home & Bargain (she turns her nose up at the stuff from Asda), and flame grilled mini chicken fillets (Home & Bargain) that needs to be torn into even smaller pieces and smushed up a little in our hands to soften then. She always has been 'dainty', and would refuse to eat a custard cream if they hadn't been cut in half !

We've managed to pull a favour from someone, and she's going to be visited by a couple of chickens today - she was absolutely entranced watching them when we were on holiday on a farm a few years ago, so we've got a bucket list item ticked off :-p
labradora
Senior User
Senior User

Post by labradora »

Bless her heart💖. I really hope she enjoys the visit from the chckens🐓🐓.
Holding you all in my thoughts and prayers,
Linda, xx
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

Let's see if this works instead...

https://imgur.com/gallery/xMHhWsu
Labrador3
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Labrador3 »

So sorry to hear about poor Megan. We know exactly how you must feel, having been through it ourselves several times now. Our dogs give us so much back don't they? Take care of her and yourselves. x
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

RIP Megan Wilson

08/07/2012 - 16/02/2013 (gotcha day) - 03/10/2022

Gone but will never be furgotten.
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Bless her heart. I’m so sorry for your sad loss of Megan. We’ve all been there. Cherish the memories and know that she had the best.

Run free Megan xxx
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
labradora
Senior User
Senior User

Post by labradora »

Sleep tight, precious Megan. :love2:
Love, Linda, Breagha and Toby xxx
Liz5353
Senior User