Madison

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xenotime
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Madison

Post by xenotime »

Hello everyone,

I haven’t been on here for a while. Life has been so busy. We moved from Wigan to Scotland in February 2019 and what with health issues and renovating a house I’ve just not been in to update with pics etc.

Mads turned 13 in May and whilst she’s been aging well and managed to stay happy and healthy, we are now beginning to see her struggle. She’s got visual issues, is partially deaf and as Has had arthritis pain for a while but now we are beginning to see her walking more cautiously. She’s also started to pant more. Her last vet check at the beginning of the year was fine and her heart was fine but all we described is down to old age.

We have been upset this past few days because we know what is ahead. It’s cutting us to ribbons because this girl, we rescued in 2013, who was terribly overweight and we thought we might not have for long, turned out to be an inspiration. Full of love, this gentle bear has helped me through so much pain in my own illness (I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) because she’s such a big character. She has never been left alone, has been with us wherever we have gone and enjoyed holidays, and more recently her new home here in Scotland where everyone loves her. She’s not been wanting to go in the car for the past six months so she’s not been able to get to the sea but she’s able to go on gentle walks and sometimes manages to get to the golf course. She Usually spends her time in the garden here Chasing cats away and waits for delivery people to give her biscuits.

But it’s time we had a good chat with the vet this week. I’m hoping her panting is to do with pain and that the vet might be able to get the pain under control with meds. She doesn’t roll over any more for tummy tickles because she jumps up fast from what we think is pain in her shoulders, and she’s stiff on her back legs when she first gets up. She has been on glucosamine etc since we first rescued her. We have a very thick memory foam bed for her so we know she’s comfortable there.

Basically, she’s very old. And we don’t want her to be suffering. This is so sad and I’m crying as I type.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ang xx
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Madison

Post by jackie »

So very sorry to hear about Madison, I can remember your posts about her when you moved to Scotland. Sadly I know how you are feeling, I had a very similar situation with my Maggie when she was 13, she was panting a lot too and quite restless vet said it was pain so we added some new medication in and it did help for a while but Maggie had bone cancer so the pain eventually wasn't controlable.

I still have Maggie's half sister, Bella who was 13 in February. She also pants on her walks but for her it is the heat. Does Madison just pant when she is moving around or is it when she is lying? I know the summer months for some dogs can make their panting worse. A few Labs have laryngeal paralysis which can make them pant more too?

I hope the vet can help get Maddison comfortable, thinking of you and sending lots of healing thoughts and hugs.
Jackie xx
xenotime
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by xenotime »

Thank you Jackie for your input.

Mads is nice and calm on her bed unless something sets her off panting. What kicks her off is excitement! She is very close to her dad and he’s been busy doing some jobs to the house so she’s not been getting her usual attention. Normally in the past this hasn’t bothered her but now she starts panting. She also does it when we are eating (when she’s begging). She’s not as fit on her walks as she used to be but that’s to be expected. She does have issues that we think may be pain related. She hates going in the car now and she started panting all through the journey until she finally refused to get in. We changed our car to a bigger one and got things to help lift her in but the journey was distressing her (just a small journey to the beach, a few minutes long), so we don’t take her in the car any more.

She has been worse with the warm weather and we have a cooling spray for her.

She’s still wagging her tail, sleeping fine and eating ok and plays as much as she can so she’s not in a total mess and this is what makes us think it’s not time to let her go just yet.

I’m going to give the vet a ring tomorrow and get her checked out. With pain meds it could be a game changer for her.

Thanks again Jackie,
Stay safe
Ang xx
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

I remember when you adopted Madison. She’s an absolute beauty with the most gorgeous gorgeous face.

It’s so sad when they get old. We are going through similar with our Tilly, who is currently at the vets having a scan. The vet could feel something around her liver area, so if I am being honest, we are not expecting good news.

It sounds as though Madison isn’t ready to leave you yet. I’m sure you’ll know when the time is right. She has had a fantastic life with you, and that’s all we can take comfort from when this time comes.

Sending you and Madison lots of hugs. Xxx
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

We are also thinking of you.
When our beautiful girls and boys grow hold it is so sad , Molly and Polly are 13 and 12. Molly had surgery last year but the tumour has returned.
Keep strong and we treasure out time with them.
Love from Liz Molly Polly Raisin xx
xenotime
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by xenotime »

Thank you so much for your replies, kind words and understanding.

Mads seems to have calmed down a bit with the panting. We realised that most of it was because her daddy was busy laying a new floor in the living room. She normally has his full attention and because he was outside a lot cutting the boards, she became restless and got herself all worked up. Therefore she was panting more. As soon as he finished the job, and things are now back to normal she is enjoying the new living room rug and having her daddy there in the room again with her lol

She has aged so much and I think we all panicked over her because we are dreading the day losing her. I don’t know much about her previous life but since she came to us she has been all over the place. Scotland Highlands, Wales, Lake District. Lots of beaches and lochs.

She is happy to just go outside in the garden now and lie there sniffing the air or watching for people ( she does have some eyesight). Since we moved into the bungalow, she now decides when it’s bedtime and just gets off her bed in the living room and trots across the hallway to her her bed in the bedroom.

So I’ve not felt the need to contact the vet like I thought I would have to. I’m trying to avoid anti inflammatory meds because she’s always had a bit of a sensitive stomach and I don’t want issues for her with that.

She is still gorgeous, still got her shiny coat and still makes me laugh every day.

I am going to upload some pics of her. Do you still use photo bucket?

Thanks again for your support and bless your own labs too.... they’re all getting old and it’s so sad. Xx
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

I’d love to see some photos of Madison again. I think a lot of us found photobucket a bit of a nightmare. I’ve got some gorgeous ones of our two, but no idea how I could get them on here.

Jane manages to get photos of Lily on here, so it might be worth asking her. Have a look down the threads and you can see where she has put some photos.

We’ve got some lovely oldies between us...you with Madison, Liz with Molly and Polly. Us with our Tilly. Ripple is also in the same situation as Tilly. It is sad when they get into old age, but it’s the time they need us the most. We’re making every day count, and spoiling Tilly like she’s never been spoiled before....she’s lapping it all up. :love2:

Marge and Jess x
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Sorry to hear about Madison and hope you have more time with her it is a very worrying time when our dogs are old and every day is so very precious .

Sending best wishes to you and Madison and if you struggle to put photos on send them to me at
labrador.rescue@btinternet.com
xenotime
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by xenotime »

It’s with a heavy heart I have to let you all know that tonight we had to get the vet out to give Madison her wings.

As you know we had been worried about her and we knew the time was coming. We had a good day today, she’d had a little walk this morning and was happy. I’d played on the riug with her today, this is where I gave her hugs and chin tickles and every time I stopped she would nudge me to carry on. This became part of her routine. It was a normal day. At 8pm she went outside but when she came back in she started to behave in an odd manor. She got to the living room rug and lay down and started to shake. I realised this was some sort of stroke or seizure. She also messed herself. Instantly we phoned for the vet who came straight away. By the time the vet got to us this episode had passed. But seeing Mads so frightened whilst this was happening to her made us realise it was time to let her go. We discussed with the vet all our thoughts and she agreed it would be kind to let her go.
Her ending was beautifully peaceful, on her rug in her home with us by her side.

This girl came into our lives and we shared a love that was unconditional. She helped me through so many bad times with my health, she became part of the family so quickly and she was an absolute angel. Her manners were amazing. She was our gentle, big bear and made us laugh every single day.

We are all unable to even go to bed tonight as we are left gutted and heartbroken. You all know what this pain is like.

No other dog could ever take the place of this beautiful soul and the house has suddenly become empty. We can’t thank Labrador rescue enough for matching us up with Madison.

One thing is for sure .... she has gone where the good doggies go and we will meet again.

I knew one day I’d have to put such a post in here but as I write this We are all in buckets.

She went on a walk with her daddy the other day and a lone stag stood there. Mads sat beside her daddy and looked at this beautiful creature. I just asked for a sign to let me know that Mads is ok. Her daddy was upset and peeped through the blinds of the conservatory to see that very same stag stood at the gate looking at him. I believe this stag is the sign she is fine.

Much love to you all xx I will email Some photos of her. Her most recent ones with her sugar face. She was beautiful right into old age.
autumndays
Senior User
Senior User

Post by autumndays »

Dear Ang and Family,
I was so sorry to read your news. As you say, most of us here know the pain you are feeling now and can share your feelings.

It must be some comfort that she left you at home, on her own rug amongst her family.

Your words about a sign I can well understand. They reminded me of when we lost our first Lab, Sam. He was over 13 and failing and we decided to take him camping one last time in the caravan to the forest at Loch Rannoch in Perthshire, a place he had always loved to go. He collapsed a few days after we arrived and we had to say goodbye at the local vets. We were so upset that we couldn't stay but faced a trip of hundreds of miles home. As we were getting in the car we looked up and far above an eagle was circling. That eagle stayed with us about 20 miles all the way back to the the A9 where we turned south for home as if watching that we were safe. Since that time I have always believed that in times of grief or stress our friends return to watch over us as we watched over them.

Thinking of you,
Take care

Paul
xenotime
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by xenotime »

Thank you so much Paul. It’s been a heartbreaking and tough day today.

I felt your pain when I read about Sam but felt the comfort that the Eagle must have brought you! Very similar to what happened to us with the Stag.

Thank you for your reply xx stay safe!
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Aw, so so sorry. What a lovely tribute to a beautiful girl who found herself in a fantastic home where your love for her is so obvious.

We all know how empty your home feels, and the huge hole they leave. It’s awful. It’s so sad when our beloved doggies get old, and all we can do is look back and cherish the memories knowing that every day they had with us was happy and filled with love.

Big hugs to you and your family. Xx

Marge and Jess x
xenotime
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by xenotime »

Thank you Mollie.

Words just can’t describe how it is here right now. Time will heal
Madison was just so extra special, beautiful and irreplaceable

Time just flew by since she came in to our lives in 2013.

Labrador’s are truly angels

Hugs xx
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

So sorry to hear you’ve lost your beloved Madison.
Sending hugs and love as you remember your beautiful girl. xx
Love,
Aileen xx

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Thinking of you as you try to come to terms with the loss of your beautiful girl. Sleep tight lovely Madison.
Love from Liz Molly Polly Raisin xx