Goodnight, sleep tight Diesel

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Goodnight, sleep tight Diesel

Post by 12_paws »

It’s took me since 30.06.20 to find the will to write that I have had to say goodbye to my beautiful boy Diesel.

You might remember that he had had his cruciate repaired back in March and was due to have his other leg repaired in June but a couple of nights before the second op, his original leg began to swell so the op was cancelled on the day. The senior Vet that I saw that day actually didn’t think his second cruciate had gone but was concerned that the first might have had underlying infection on the plate causing the swelling.
Despite many different antibiotics, the swelling became much worse and he became very unwell suddenly, so we had x rays of his leg which looked fine and bloods which were not so fine. While x raying our Vet also found a lump in Diesels groin which he took for biopsy. He contacted a referral centre at Solihull that day who rang back in the evening and said that they thought the cruciate was a red herring and something else was going on ‘to do with a blockage in the lymph system’ and suggested a CT scan which we booked for the next morning. Our Vet knows I’m a nurse by background so think he knew I’d got the significance of the blood results, the lump, opinion etc.
Diesel become much worse overnight so as I was up with him I looked up swelling/ bloods/ lymphoedema and found nothing but very bad news – lymphoma looked most likely - and I didn’t feel at that stage that a CT scan was useful given the speed my beautiful boy was deteriorating in front of me and the dire outcome of all options. Our Vet didn’t try to sway me and agreed I ‘had a very poorly boy’ and so I made the decision we all dread.

I’m absolutely heartbroken, although he was 10 Diesel was fit and well we thought. He was very affectionate, mischevious and so in your face, quite different in personality to Harley who is more of a quiet, steady ‘sit back and watch’ type of guy. Losing him has left such a void in my heart and home and it must be strange for Harley as we had them from the same breeder at the same time, just 12 days between them in age, so he has never been an only dog.The photo of them when we had them pops up on the home page slide show as does one of Diesel laying with a tennis ball.

Things will get better and we’ll be able to laugh at his antics in time I know……. It's still one day at a time for now.
Des x
Last edited by 12_paws on 16 Aug 2020, 22:36, edited 4 times in total.
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
geddes
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Goodnight, sleep tight Diesel

Post by geddes »

Things will get better,but there will allways be that special part in your heart reserved for Diesel .We grieve with you.
Geddes Lesley &Gentle Joe.
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Des I am heartbroken for you, this is such a sad and difficult time.
Thinking of you, please give Harley a hug from us.
Your beautiful boy is pain free now, we have to do the very best for our boys and girls, they give us so much love and pleasure.
Things do get better, and memories stay with us forever.
Love from Liz Molly Polly Raisin x
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Oh, Des, I’m so sorry to hear you’ve lost Diesel. You made the most difficult but kindest decision to let him go as soon as you realised the seriousness of the situation. It’s the last kind act we can do for our beloved fur babies, and repays all the years of love they gave us.
Thinking of you as you remember your beautiful boy. xx
Love,
Aileen xx

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Des, we are so very sorry to hear you have had to say goodbye to your beloved Diesel and know the heavy heartache you must be feeling. In time you will be able to look back and smile at the happy memories Diesel left but he will always be forever close in your heart.

Please give Harley a big hug, as we know he will be feeling the pain without his brother too.

Thinking of you :love3:

Love
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Patmar
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Patmar »

Des heartbroken for you. I can’t think of any words to describe how you must be feeling all I can do is send my love and caring thoughts.
All my love

Pat xx
Labrador3
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Labrador3 »

Just seen your message. We are so sorry to hear about Diesel. These are difficult times but things will get better. Give Harley a big hug. Hugs and kisses from Steve, Carolyn and Roly. xxx
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Thank-you all for your supportive and understanding words - that's the beauty of this forum, people really do understand,
Des & Harley xx
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

So very sorry to hear this news, it is such a heartbreaking time and sadly I know that void too well, over 2 years since I lost my Maggie and we have Bella her half sister so just the two of us now also.

Thinking of you and sending love.

Run free DIesel sweetheart x

Jackie x