Goodbye Harley

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Goodbye Harley

Post by 12_paws »

Just share that we had to say goodbye to our much loved boy Harley on Sunday night, he was 11yr in January.
Harley had an ear infection and respiratory infection back in October and along with antibiotics was treated with steroids which induced pancreatitis. He was pretty ill for a couple of weeks and following his recovery, still had a little mild breathing noise on occasions so it seemed that maybe he was developing laryngeal paralysis but we had steadily built up walks using a harness and he was doing very well.
However, in the last 3-4 weeks he suffered episodes of sudden distressed breathing that were happening more frequently. On Sunday night an episode became severe and our Vet said that from the history and sudden deterioration that Harley probably had a mass in his chest affecting the main nerve and that the laryngeal paralysis was a symptom of that rather than the actual problem.
Harley was a big, handsome, loving, quirky, sit back and watch type of lad but since our loss of Diesel last summer he became more outgoing. When well, he loved to run but could have selective deafness to the recall! He was always kind and gentle with our two young grandsons and had enjoyed a garden visit earlier on sunday.
A couple of months ago we got Finn, a busy chocolate pup from working lines. After a few days of shell shock, Harley really mothered him, let him share whichever bed he was on, put up with a pup being at his side every time he tried to have a wee in peace, let him steal from his bowl or pinch his treats, till we taught Finn not to. Its clear Finn is missing Harley too, he’s subdued and rather lost.
It's so strange without him asking for his suppertime Rich Tea biscuits at 21.10 hr on the dot, he had us well trained! Sleep tight my boy xx
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Labrador3
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Goodbye Harley

Post by Labrador3 »

So sorry to hear of your loss of Harley. We know exactly how you feel having lost our lad Roly last month. They leave such a void when they are no longer with us. Remember the good times and happy memories you have made. As you say Finn will be feeling the loss too so give him lots of big hugs to help you all through these sad times.
:2379:
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Des, so sorry to read that you have lost your beloved Harley and know how you will be feeling. Hopefully Finn will help ease the pain, as he still needs you, as he too will miss Harley.

Thinking of you :love3:

Run free Harley reunited once again with your bruv Diesel.
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Dear Desley, I am so sorry about the loss of your beloved Harley, I know this is a very sad and difficult time. Our beautiful boys and girls are so very special.
Thinking of you and I hope Finn will be a comfort to you.
We send you our love and sleep tight Harley .
Liz Molly Polly Raisin Orca xx
marieb
New User
New User

Post by marieb »

Dear Des

Thanks for your kind words about Poppy. We were so sorry to read the sad news about Harley at around the same time. It's hard to make the decision to say goodbye to our beloved furbabies but it's done with their best interests at heart. Poppy too had pancreatitis but also a neurological condition which meant it was kindest to let her go. I think she was in Chestergates at the same time as Sophie.

Sorry it's taken a while to write but I have been recovering from a hip replacement op. Best wishes and again, we are sorry for your loss, but glad that you had some wonderful years together.

Marie and Chris
x