Helping Toby

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Helping Toby

Post by Glenys »

On Monday I was absolutely shocked and saddened to take a call from a lady so upset and so traumatized she struggled to speak her two year old Labrador had eaten a child’s Toy and was in need of urgent scans and surgery and she could not afford it sadly the same old story cost of living , this is a hard working lady in the caring profession on low income going through divorce had lapsed her insurance so yet another Vet turning away a dog due to finance ( remember Lilly ) I know that they are under pressure but there should be a contingency fund in these sad cases
The Owner also had no transport with Toby going downhill fast So Volunteer Colin to the rescue Toby was collected and taken straight to Rutland house in St Helens where scans and surgery was organised
Toby had his surgery it was found he had eaten a child’s toy Dinosaur! Which caused a blockage Which was safely removed and is now in recovery he will need to stay in the hospital observation for a few days his abdomen is painful yet, thank you who are helping Toby by sending kind donations
wish us luck estimate 4000.00 pounds PHEW !!

There are lots of schools of thought regarding this an Lilly’s case some would say if you can’t afford Vet fees you should not own a pet but I would say to a lot of people their pets are another Family member sometimes a reason to get up in the morning there are hardly any places someone on reduced income can take their Pets PDSA RSPCA many don’t have any local an then they are means tested and if a few pounds over the limit no help meanwhile your pet could be dying also no one know when hardship can befall them .

For myself it happened to me many years ago I was young. Marriage failed I found myself alone with two young children luckily I worked part time but money was very tight I got through those years with my dogs as then you could go to the RSPCA Clinic and donate what you could It Saved my sanity because life without dogs was and is unthinkable I will update Toby for those interested an say thank you for being there and allowing me in particular the honour of saying yes we will help

Don't let lack of of money through hardship mean the difference between Euthanasia of a healthy dog to treatment in a world of uncertainty for many we can be kind

Glenys and Team at Rescue