Update on Sam

Another case of a dog with allergies that needed a special mom and dad who could give him that little extra to overcome his problems..

Moderator: Forum Moderators

radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Update on Sam

Post by radar ears »

I did phone Glenys' vet today asking whether the results of Sam's test had come through, but the lady said that sometimes it takes quite a few weeks.
Mick (my "blondie" Lab) 2nd February 2009 aged 15
Benji (my Collie) 14th September 2010 aged 14½
Bruce (my "blackie" Lab) 8th March 2015 aged 13 (rough guess)
Sam (my "blackie" Lab) 27th April 2015 aged 13

Always with me, xx
lab_lover
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by lab_lover »

Absolutely loving hearing about his personality coming out, I love his fagan antics and it is so endearing that he apologises afterwards LOL

Love and big cuddles to Sam

Jenny
xxxxxx
Simba my beautiful boy, you will always be in my heart, I will miss you forever
Garyt
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Garyt »

No piccies of Sam yet?? :2009:
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

I missed this thread as I was on holiday.
What lovely stories about Sam. It sounds as though he has found his perfect home and the tales of his antics are really funny.
Keep them coming!
Jackie
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

Hi Gary,
I'm trying my best ! :2006:

As I said previously, I can't get to grips with this digital camera that I've got, so I took some pictures on the mobile phone, but they are terrible, Sam look like a black panther waiting to pounce !

I'm going to ask my mate Claire at the allotments to take some, she is a whizz at that sort of thing, as I am actually champing at the bit to show you all some pictures of Sam in all his glory, now that he is not stressed, especially as a lot of you donated to help him, for which I thank you all from the heart of my bottom :1968:

I'm sorry, an old chestnut, but I couldn't resist it!

I do sincerely thank you for donating to Sam, when the call comes, you all rally to the cause, which is great.
I have had some good news, but I'll let Sam tell you what it is, he's going to make a post of his own.

Take care
Jill & John
xx

Always with me, xx
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

Hellooooooooooooo everyone !! :1954:

It's Sam here !

I have loads to tell you all, firstly the most important bit, because it concerns me and my welfare is that the results of the York test that I had, have come through.

A few days ago my Mum phone Glenys' vet to see if it had arrived, but it hadn't and then today Glenys e-mailed my Mum and when my Mum phoned back, Glenys told her that I am allergic to grass, but only in the months of June and July and I am also allergic to beef.

Mum's glad, because she can now give me the same as Benji, chicken or lamb with rice and other nice things, mixed with proper "doggie mixer" so that we get our vitamins.

It was funny really, because I was ear-wigging this morning and I heard my Mum saying to my Dad about the test and she reckoned that when the results eventually came through, they would show that there was nothing that I was really allergic to and that it was all stress related.

Well, she was proved right really, wasn't she, there's nothing major there to worry about, but I did hear her tell Glenys that she still had Mick's little boots that he had to wear sometimes, when he "knuckled" .

I thought to myself " yes, mate, if you think I'm wearing boots to go out, you can think again" I mean it's not exactly the height of fashion culture, is it now.
I'll just make sure she keeps me off the grass, but then again, I never have been a smoker :1962:

I'll tell you all something else, since I've been dahn sarf in sarfend, (I've picked up the accent quite well, don't you think ?) I've not had to have a malaseb bath at all and my fur is still sleek and clean, Mum says she's not going to bath me unless I really need it, as she doesn't want me to lose all my natural oils and also, she only has to do my ears every other day, as they are so clean (thanks to Glenys that was, what a relief to get all that muck out of my lugs).

It'll eventually be just once a week with my ears and then hopefully only as and when I may need it.
My Mum has also found out my birthday, it's the 26th April, so she is well pleased as she said I'm a "laid back Taurean, like her" !

Benji and I get on really well, we sleep nose to nose sometimes, Dad said that he thinks Benji has perked up since I came, he reckons that he was probably missing Mick, he's probably right.

My Mum has promised me that she'll get me to pose for her mate Claire for pictures and I'll put my paw down and make sure she does.
Finally for now, a big thank you to Glenys for looking after me and to everyone that helped with the cost of my treatment.

I am really happy now and I know that I have made my Mum and Dad happy, at least I think so, they keep saying funny things to me before I go to bed, if I remember rightly, it's something like "Goodnight sweetheart, we love you" they say the same to Benji, so I must have got it right :1945:

That's all for now,
Take care
Love Sam
XX

Always with me, xx
natty

Post by natty »

am allergic to grass, but only in the months of June and July and I am also allergic to beef.
this great cos now you know just what you are dealing with. Why those two months? What
is it about grass at that time of year?

cant wait to see the pictures :1956:
radar ears
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by radar ears »

I don't know why it's just those two months, but it'll be interesting to know.

I haven't registered Sam with my vets yet, I was waiting to see if Glenys knew his birthday, because then I could register him properly, because I'm funny like that.

Now that I can register him with my vets, I'll get Alastair (the vet) to get Sam's records from Glenys' vet and also from Sam's previous owners' vet.

If we change doctors, our patient records come with us, so it should be the same with dogs, who knows, in future years if Sam gets not well for any reason, (God forbid) I might need to know something that could be relevant to any treatment that he may need.

Always with me, xx
warrengl
Senior User
Senior User

Post by warrengl »

Its great that you now know what you're dealing with and it sounds like Sam is coming on in leaps and bounds!

Looking forward to some pics!

Gill and Coco xx
Gill xx

Coco
Gone from our sight, but never our memories
Gone from our touch, but never our hearts
kathryn
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kathryn »

Glad to hear youve got your results Sam,this is why we had to pay £250 to get the right results for you, dont worry Sam all the best dogs are allergic to beef, my Paddy is too.!!and at least your Mum now knows what she can give you and what she cant...look forward to pictures.... :1939:
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

Great news Sam. Two months out of 12 isn't that bad is it. Molly would find two months of staying off grass very hard, she thinks she is a cow and has a stomach to match fortunately. :1941: Look forward to seeing your piccies.
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

That's great news Sam, so pleased you have settled darn sarf!!

Love and hugs Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
Mad Maisie

Post by Mad Maisie »

[
quote="radar ears"]
I am really happy now and I know that I have made my Mum and Dad happy, at least I think so, they keep saying funny things to me before I go to bed, if I remember rightly, it's something like "Goodnight sweetheart, we love you" they say the same to Benji, so I must have got it right :1945:

That's all for now,
Take care
Love Sam
XX
[/quote]
Lovely!!!

:1971: :1971: :1971:

Gill, Meg and Maisie
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

Great News Sam. So pleased they have found out what was causing your problem. Stay Off the Grass.

Lins
Molly would find two months of staying off grass very hard, she thinks she is a cow and has a stomach to match fortunately.
I was being to think Balee was part cow :1967:
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

What great news, nothing too much to worry about there and like Mum says I think a lot of it was stress related. Pleased you don't have to have any more malaseb bath. If you can find the cause of skin problems you are almost there and in a lot of cases, good diet, a regular routine with plenty of exercise and lots of cuddles is all that is needed - well done to Mum and Dad :1944:

Jackie x