Helping this poor boy

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Helping this poor boy

Post by Glenys »

This lad sadly was booked into Vets to be PTS next week reason is owners couldnt afford to pay for his tests.
He is dangerously underweight at 16.5 kilos at oonly two years old he is a loving dog he needs our help.
Its a long story but he is now with us and we are going ahead with all the tests he needs sorry if some members will be upset seeing the photos but Shadow is now at Kys for some rest and recouperation and off course the much needed tests so we can get him back on the right track.

We think its Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Glenys Fryer(Coordinator)

Email: labrador.rescue@btinternet.com

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)
Telephone: 07572 438871 (Available Between 10am - 7pm)
Email: ginaboyd2021@outlook.com

Carole Fairhurst(General Enquiries)
Telephone: 07377 215996 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email: C.fairhurst@ymail.com

Lin Jackson(General enquiries)
Telephone: 07507 646082 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email:
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Helping this poor boy

Post by Ann Mee »

O'h my goodness what a beautiful face he has. Bless him :love2: he is in the right place now. Poor boy what a shame I hope the tests get to the bottom of whatever is wrong. Thank you Ky & her rehabilitation team for taking this boy convalesce

Get well soon Shadow

Ann x
Last edited by Ann Mee on 12 Jan 2013, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
Johndale
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Johndale »

What a sad sight. I do so hope the tests establish what is wrong with him & that today marks the start of his recovery. Thank you Ky for taking him in.

Massive healing thoughts & well wishes. :bighug: :bighug:

John & Teddyxx
Last edited by Johndale on 12 Jan 2013, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
SusanKerr
Senior User
Senior User

Post by SusanKerr »

Tragic to see but if anyone can turn him around Ky and lab rescue can - fingers crossed for this lad - he deserves a chance.
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

My goodness he is in a very sorry state :2009: poor lad, I am pleased he is at Ky's is there any information on what might be wrong with him Glenys I couldn't get your link to work above.
Jackie x
triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Poor boy - thank goodness he's come to you.

May be speaking out of turn but it makes my blood boil that anyone could let a dog get in that state before deciding he needed tests :2012: :2012:

Fingers crossed here for a happy outcome x
:2379:
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

triomum wrote:Poor boy - thank goodness he's come to you.

May be speaking out of turn but it makes my blood boil that anyone could let a dog get in that state before deciding he needed tests :2012: :2012:

Fingers crossed here for a happy outcome x
:2379:

Sorry, I have to say this is sheer cruelty! No excuses to let any dog get into this state. Can't say anymore, I'll get banned from the site and I will start to rant. :2012: :2012:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Seamusmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Seamusmum »

Oh my goodness Shadow you poor boy.

You're safe now sweet boy and will get the care and love you deserve.

Gentle hugs.xxxx
Katie xx
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Poor, poor boy. Thank god for the rescue. Am sure Ky and the gang will work their magic on him. Thanks again Ky :love3:

Alison x
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

jackie wrote:My goodness he is in a very sorry state :2009: poor lad, I am pleased he is at Ky's is there any information on what might be wrong with him Glenys I couldn't get your link to work above.
Jackie x

Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
Glenys Fryer(Coordinator)

Email: labrador.rescue@btinternet.com

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)
Telephone: 07572 438871 (Available Between 10am - 7pm)
Email: ginaboyd2021@outlook.com

Carole Fairhurst(General Enquiries)
Telephone: 07377 215996 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email: C.fairhurst@ymail.com

Lin Jackson(General enquiries)
Telephone: 07507 646082 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email:
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

OMG I am choked up just looking at him. :cry3:

His name says it all Shadow, that is exactly what he looks like.

I have to agree with you Lins - I have now read about the illness that Shadow is thought to have and if that is so the. Maybe we should give the owners the benefit of the doubt until we know better.

Hopefully his life will turn round now that he is with Ky Geoff and Gang. :1958:

Glenys I am sure 99.9% of us agree with your decision after all THIS is Labrador Rescue, all dogs fat, thin, tall, small, sick, well, abused. :love5:
Last edited by Diesel Kate on 12 Jan 2013, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
Johndale
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Johndale »

Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

The good news is that if tests show this is what he is suffering from, then there are treatments and he will put some weight back on and could well, with careful management,
live a normal life span. So fingers crossed for Shadow.

John & Teddyxx
Simbasmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Simbasmum »

link here and when you see the recovery, i hope Shadow will be back to normal in no time - I hadn't heard of this before so in a way a good thing to be educated about.
I hope he makes a full recovery
When one door closes another door ALWAYS opens- and we may never know what the grand plan is, but believe me, the universe will give you everything you deserve if you just have faith. Karma is a beautiful thing.
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

When you were telling me how thin this dear boy was, I had no idea he was in quite such a shocking state Glenys.. :(
I agree with Ann that he has the most beautiful face, bless him. Wishing with all my heart that he can recover from this..
Thanks to Ky and the gang; the very best of convalescence homes :1972:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

Ablineth
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ablineth »

The pictures of Shadow make him look in far better condition than he actually is, hard to believe but he is thinner than he looks in the pictures. I think the worst bit is seeing his sunken eyes.

I am delighted he came into rescue as it has been said he was actually booked to be pts.

He has had tests carried out in the past the extent of which I will know next week when his records catch up with him at my vets.
I took him to the vets today and the vets and vet nurses gasped when they saw him, he is at a critical point where he has lost all body fat and has lost a great deal of muscle with very little muscle left to lose. He is literally on a knife edge. It was said they had never seen a dog so thin actually upright and walking.
He weighs 16.5 kilos which as we all know is nowhere near what he should be.
He is happy and lively but has no stamina ( hardly surprising), he is so thin and narrow across his shoulders his ankles knock together and so thin across his backend his hocks knock together.
The complaint epi has been mentioned by his previous vet but not confirmed.
At the moment I am treating him as if this is what is wrong with him and have today been out and bought the appropriate food for him and as there is a serious risk of either bloat or a torsion he is on 6 meals a day. I was told that once he has eaten he has to go outside and empty his bowels and his food passes straight through him, so far touch wood he has had 3 meals and not "been" yet. I take this as a positive sign.

It is not for me to judge or comment about what has happened merely to be grateful rescue is here and do my best to get this lad turned around.

We have a vets appointment at 9.00am monday so everything crossed for the lad, he will be reweighed and everything crossed he has not lost any more because at the moment he is quite literally starving to death even though he is being fed.

He has joined the gang and he is fantastic with the livestock. Our 2 afternoon visitors have had a huge shock when they saw him.

The gang are slightly confused as to the number of meals he is being fed and I feel sure they would not complain if they were fed lots as well. :1966:

More updates as and when we know more.

Ky and gang plus one
I am joy in a woolly coat, come to dance in your life, to make you laugh.