Norrie and his wednesday weigh in

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ablineth
Senior User
Senior User

Norrie and his wednesday weigh in

Post by Ablineth »

we have just been for the Norrie weekly check up and weigh in.

We have had a good week with Norrie, so far touch wood, eating well and even getting excited when the food bowl comes out. The only downside is since his upset stomach he is soooooo particular about what he eats. One day he loves something the next he will not look at it. At the moment all he will eat is raw meat, I suppose a Barf type diet which I must admit I am not a big fan of as there is always an e coli risk from it and it is not really a balanced diet, so after every meal he has a handful of his JWB treats and I am being crafty and putting some of his kibble in with them to get it down him.

I am afraid I have had to admit I am a wuss and gone back into my long trousers as it has gone so cold but wearing my shorts for a while seems to have broken him of the trouser swinging habit--thank goodness, although mine are all well ventilated around the knee area now should we get the longed for hot summer.Smile

He is showing more interest in toys and loves to try to get Wotsee or Grayse to play with him, mind you his idea of getting them to play is to keep thrusting whatever he has in his mouth into their faces until they play.

No more "wobbly dos" thank goodness. He is on low dose steroids twice a day, a tiny tablet and when he hears the bottle he comes running and I just pop it onto the back of his tongue and he takes it.

Sooooo onto our weekly check up and exciting news, he has put weight on steadily this last week ( touch wood) --sorry to keep putting that but we have had so many ups and downs I am leaving nothing to chance!!

Last week he was 22.1 kilos and this week he is ..............HUGE drum roll............23.6 kilos, for us older folks that is very nearly 52lbs and an increase over the week of just over 3lbs.

When he arrived he was 16.5 kilos ( 36.3lbs) which means despite set backs in just less than 9 weeks he has gained 15.7lbs over a stone... we are chuffed to bits as every gram and ounce has been hard earned.

Physically his ribs are now very, very nearly covered, his eyes not as sunken, his collar has been let out 2 holes, his coat is now " a proper labrador coat"--- the vets words, his backbone is still slightly prominent as he will very likely always have a slight arch to his back due to years of holding himself in that position and .... another drum roll.....he is starting to gain a little muscle!!! which just goes to show what proper feeding can do.

Now for the really exciting bit he has been given the all clear to go to hydrotherapy and I have a seesion booked for lunchtime tomorrow, Wotsee is going with him to give him a bit of moral support as Norrie is not really a water baby and Wotsee is. I have been told to take him once and see how he is afterwards and if he is fine he can have a course of it, onwards and upwards.

Whilst all the above is fantastic news it is of course very sad in a way as every day now is a day nearer him leaving us. We need to get a few more kilos on, make sure he is eating regularly without setbacks and then the vets will give him the all clear to be put up for adoption but we very likely only have a few more weeks with him. I must not complain as when we knew he was coming we thought for possibly a few days maybe a week so we have had a bonus but when a dog has been here a long time and when we have gone through so much they really do become part of the family, the only consolation is he will be going to a lovely new life which had it not been for rescue he would not have had.

Time to stop now before I spoil my ecstatic mood.

Thank you to everyone who has helped Norrie, he is a super boy and I know if he could he would say thank you too. :love5: :love5: :love5: :love5:

Ky and The Norrie xx
I am joy in a woolly coat, come to dance in your life, to make you laugh.
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Norrie and his wednesday weigh in

Post by Willow »

These updates just keep getting better Image

Well done Norrie, you are being such a good boy.
Enjoy your swim with Wotsee Image
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

Simbasmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Simbasmum »

I hope the hydrotherapy went well - sounds as though he has finally turned a corner
:bighug: Ky, Geoff, David & all the dogs who are helping to look after Norrie :bighug:
When one door closes another door ALWAYS opens- and we may never know what the grand plan is, but believe me, the universe will give you everything you deserve if you just have faith. Karma is a beautiful thing.
my bobby
Senior User
Senior User

Post by my bobby »

Great news Ky :thumbup: :thumbup:
You have all done such a fantastic job with this special boy :love2: .

I do hope that the new family who is lucky enough to have Norrie in their lives keeps us all updated with how he is getting on in his new home.

I can only describe you as Norries special earth angels. :love5: :love5:

Carol and Bobby xx :2093: :2379:

Labradors are miracles with paws xx

Carol F :-
kayj
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kayj »

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: Well done Norrie.

Enjoy your swim tomorrow ,I'm sure Wotsee will show you what to do.

:love3: :love3: :love3: To Ky ,Geoff and David for taking such fantastic care of this gorgeous boy.

Look forward to your next update.

Kay.xx
Lucy
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lucy »

Ky

Lovely to hear he is doing so well. As for a raw diet if he seems to be preferring that I can send you a proper balanced diet sheet which really does give all the necessary nutritional needs for a dog.

As for ecoli the risks are minimal and dogs constitutions are totally different to humans and also so long as food is kept a proper temps or frozen the risk is really negligible.

My lot have been fed raw for quite a few years now and thrive on it. My vet has always commented about what such good condition they are all in. A raw diet encourages lean strong muscle formation as well.
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

What a wonderful update - couldn't be better :1951: :1951: :1951: :1951: :1951: :1951:

I can understand the sadness at the prospect of Norrie leaving Ky at some point - but what a wonderful ending it will be, when it could have been so different. His forever home will have to be very very special!!

Onwards and upwards for Norrie :thumbup:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Bev Rowley
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Bev Rowley »

Lovely update Ky. :love2:

Bev, Alfie and Bendy xxx
Seamusmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Seamusmum »

Aww, Norrie, you're being so brave. Gentle hugs to you. X
Katie xx
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

Just catching up with all the news :bravo: :bravo: so pleased to read this, well done Ky & Norrie

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
warrengl
Senior User
Senior User

Post by warrengl »

Not had chance to get on the website much this week but its great to come back to such wonderful news!

Onwards and upwards Norrie. :love5:
Gill xx

Coco
Gone from our sight, but never our memories
Gone from our touch, but never our hearts
Judynjake04
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Judynjake04 »

Wonderful news Ky, keep on improving Norrie
:2362: