Midges in Wales?

As we all have dogs and may want to take them with us... have you any suggestions for holdiay destinations etc that are dog friendly and where you had a great time?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Midges in Wales?

Post by jackie »

Can I ask some advice on holiday's in Wales - is there a midge season in Wales like there is in Scotland. Looking to go around June but if it is anything like Scotland I will give it a miss!

Thanks

Jackie x
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Midges in Wales?

Post by Willow »

In my experience, the midge season only exists in Scotland (although Scots seem happy to keep quiet about it).

Definitely no midge season in England or Wales :1972:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

eamonnmoore
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eamonnmoore »

No midges but there are tics,sandflies etc.we use advantix for Scooby and have not had any problems :2379:
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Thanks for the help, I have read that high levels of midges can be found in the Scottish Highlands and Islands, part of the Scottish Borders and Galloway, the Lake District and a large slice of Wales from Snowdonia down to the Brecon Beacons.

We were looking at staying around Snowdonia but I don't fancy going there if the midge levels are high........might just wait until the Autumn when they have died off!

Jackie x
triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Don't let the midges put you off coming to Scotland, Jackie! We live on the west coast near Mallaig and it's the most beautiful place in the country (okay I'm biased) and it's dog heaven :2379: :2379: All you need is a bottle of Avon Skin So Soft (the bluey/green one) - quick spray round your head and the midges won't bother you :lol: All the locals swear by it and all the shops sell it ! The midges only tend to come out late afternoon and early evening, particularly if it's damp. Also, if you avoid areas with lots of trees and water, you'll be fine too. We live on a hill overlooking Camus Darach beach (the one in the Local Hero film) and we don't get bothered by them :lol: :lol: :lol:
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

We had a holiday in Galloway a couple of years ago, it was fantastic and I can't say midges bothered us. We were in a tent near a stream too. :1972: :1972:
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
Morticia1162
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Morticia1162 »

We are off to here in early Sept, looks fantastic and out of midge season. :lol:

http://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/northe ... -each?pl=1
Lots of love, Janet, Pat, Barney & Lola xxxx
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

triomum wrote:Don't let the midges put you off coming to Scotland, Jackie! We live on the west coast near Mallaig and it's the most beautiful place in the country (okay I'm biased) and it's dog heaven :2379: :2379: All you need is a bottle of Avon Skin So Soft (the bluey/green one) - quick spray round your head and the midges won't bother you :lol: All the locals swear by it and all the shops sell it ! The midges only tend to come out late afternoon and early evening, particularly if it's damp. Also, if you avoid areas with lots of trees and water, you'll be fine too. We live on a hill overlooking Camus Darach beach (the one in the Local Hero film) and we don't get bothered by them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't worry Julie it doesn't put me off going to Scotland we usually go a few times a year but I do avoid the worst of the midge season as we like the woods and loch walks. I think it is the luck of the draw as some times we have been away and not noticed any other times it has been pretty awful.
Jackie x
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

The first time we went to Lock Awe in Argyllshire, I got so badly bitten, I though I had the measles. Sorted it with Jungle Juice and plenty of fags when fishing. :1967:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Lins wrote:The first time we went to Lock Awe in Argyllshire, I got so badly bitten, I though I had the measles. Sorted it with Jungle Juice and plenty of fags when fishing. :1967:
Reminds me of a 'romantic' stay on the shores of Loch Lomond. The brochure failed to mention that you should switch sun cream for calamine lotion :1968: :1968:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Morticia1162 wrote:We are off to here in early Sept, looks fantastic and out of midge season. :lol:

There's a pie shop/cafe in Lochinver - you must go there for lunch - it's amazing :lol: :1951: :lol: :1951:
Morticia1162
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Morticia1162 »

Yes I've heard of this shop. :1951:

Will defiantly be giving it a try, and it's not just because I am from Wigan. :rofl:
Lots of love, Janet, Pat, Barney & Lola xxxx
maxie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by maxie »

Jackie - of course there's no midge season in Wales, they are there ALL the time :1968: :1968:
Mind you, if you took me with you, you'd be fine 'cos they'd all come and bite me, I'm a midge magnet!!
Have a great holiday,
Joan xx
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

triomum wrote:
Morticia1162 wrote:We are off to here in early Sept, looks fantastic and out of midge season. :lol:

There's a pie shop/cafe in Lochinver - you must go there for lunch - it's amazing :lol: :1951: :lol: :1951:

Does look a lovely spot......the views look amazing as does the beach Jackie x
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

maxie wrote:Jackie - of course there's no midge season in Wales, they are there ALL the time :1968: :1968:
Mind you, if you took me with you, you'd be fine 'cos they'd all come and bite me, I'm a midge magnet!!
Have a great holiday,
Joan xx
Thanks Joan, I am usually fairly safe although last September I got badly bitten in Scotland when walking in Glen Affric. They took a good few weeks to completely settle - I was scratching for ages!
Jackie x