Holidays in Scotland

As we all have dogs and may want to take them with us... have you any suggestions for holdiay destinations etc that are dog friendly and where you had a great time?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Scot in exile

Holidays in Scotland

Post by Scot in exile »

Billy, our old beagle, has just had a whale of a time on Skye. We were in a sc cottage in the North west of the island. Try www.visitscotland.com as there are many places which accept well behaved dogs. Another is www.welcomecottages.co.uk they allow you to specify the area and pet friendly to access the houses. If I had to pick anywhere to take a dog I'd aim for Perthshire, Inverness-shire, the West coast from Oban up to Mallaig. My Ben, black labrador, when he was alive travelled the length & breadth of Scotland and sampled many beaches. The beaches were gorgeous and often deserted thus he could run off steam to his heart's content. We are lucky to have the shared use of a family holiday home in Fife - it has some wonderful beaches but they tend to be busier. Perthshire is great for woodland walking with lots of streams - again a labrador's dream. There's also a beach in Wales (Ithink Black Dog Sands?) where you can drive onto the beach and walk for miles to reach the water when the tide is out, wonderful.
We've stayed in a number of sc cottages and would gladly pass on the names if anyone wants them.
Ethel
Gemma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Gemma T »

We had a fab week last summer in Scotland too. We went with welcome cottages to a place called Kirkcolm on the Whins of Galloway. the boys had so much fun on the neach and just played and played.

Gemma xx
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

We have a couple of holidays in Scotland each year, I love it all it has to be one of the best places in the world! We went to the Cairngorms earlier this year, it was lovely as the weather was kind to us (cold, crisp, frosty mornings with lots of winter sun and blue skies) and it is much quieter during the winter months. Dogs had a great time.

Jackie x
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

Sounds like you had a great time Ethel, its always good to know of places that are dog friendly.

jan xx
It is never too late.
jakelab

Post by jakelab »

I stayed in Skye many years ago on one of the cottages in the Dunvegan Castle Estate in January- snowed everyday but what a fabulous time was had by all. My old boy Jake used to disappear every morning and came back wet, followed him to find him swimmng with some baby seals- he had depression for a couple of weeks when we came back- must go back that way- ace holiday
Bonnie, Jess and Toby
triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

I live near Mallaig - just two minutes from Camus Darach beach - great for dogs, particularly labs! A few of the places near us take dogs. One of our neighbours has just started letting out their cottage and they take dogs (eiggcottage.co.uk) and there are other places on the 'Road to the Isles' web site too. If you go the The Old Forge pub at Knoydart, they even let you take your dogs in with you!
smitty
Senior User
Senior User

Post by smitty »

Hi - we spent the whole of June in the caravan in Scotland. We stayed at Moffat North Ledaig Skye and Luss on Loch Lomond. Unfortunately the weather was not good and on Skye it was so cold that I bought a woollen jumper and hat. We had a lot of rain also. Everone kept telling us that it had been lovely weather in April and May!! We are intrepid caravanners though and we did have a very good time. I will post some photos soon. Fudge loves the caravan and everyone loves him. He particularly likes it as he can be with Roger 24/7. We met Jan and Paul (jan bandit) at North Ledaig. Fudge joined their dogs Charlie and Bandit on the beach and Fudge swam for the first time since he came to live with us (5 years). Usually he goes in the sea up to his belly then panics and runs out. We are going away again in September but probably to Norfolk

Marie
triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Marie - it was beautiful in May!! We built a garage on the side of our house in May and we both looked like we'd been to the Bahamas for a month by the time we finished. Admittedly it's not been good in June, July and so far August, but it does generally improve from September onwards. Last year, we had friends up the first weekend in December and we actually had a picnic on the beach!
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

smitty wrote:Hi - we spent the whole of June in the caravan in Scotland. We stayed at Moffat North Ledaig Skye and Luss on Loch Lomond. Unfortunately the weather was not good and on Skye it was so cold that I bought a woollen jumper and hat. We had a lot of rain also. Everone kept telling us that it had been lovely weather in April and May!! We are intrepid caravanners though and we did have a very good time. I will post some photos soon. Fudge loves the caravan and everyone loves him. He particularly likes it as he can be with Roger 24/7. We met Jan and Paul (jan bandit) at North Ledaig. Fudge joined their dogs Charlie and Bandit on the beach and Fudge swam for the first time since he came to live with us (5 years). Usually he goes in the sea up to his belly then panics and runs out. We are going away again in September but probably to Norfolk

Marie
If its any consolation Marie, we went to Madeira in May, missed the good weather here and had to buy a woolie jumper each while we were there!
Our Max-sitter really looks forward to us going abroad as she is guaranteed good weather here.
Have a lovely time wherever you go and I do hope the sun shines.
Jackie
xx
dogspaw
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by dogspaw »

Gemma, we go to the Rhins of Galloway a lot. The beaches there are really good for the dogs. Did you go to Sandhead or Port Logan beach? Both are brilliant for dogs. Port Logan is where they filmed 2000 acres of Sky.