Hi

If you are new to the site pop in here and say hello - We are a friendly bunch!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Timcooke
New User
New User

Hi

Post by Timcooke »

Hi everyone

We are a family looking to home a Labrador - we have a lovely home on the edge of the Peak District looking for a new 4 legged member!

Tim
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Hi

Post by JoanG »

Hello Tim and welcome to this really informative Rescue Forum. Have you filled in an application form that's the first step And, perhaps once that's done a call to Glenys or Gina. Your home near the Peak District sounds ideal for a lab I imagine you have lots of great walks nearby. You are probably aware that the Rescue is presently in the middle of the biggest rescue operation they have had so things are very hectic and you will have to be patient if they don't answer. There are always lovely dogs coming through the Rescue and it's important for you and the dog that you are right for one another.

I don't know how much you know about this Rescue but in my opinion it is absolutely first class, Glenys ensures that any dog in need is given the best of everything. Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Joan and George x
Timcooke
New User
New User

Post by Timcooke »

Hi Joan

Thanks so much for a lovely welcome. I’ve emailed an application and also sent Ann some more details to pass onto the team.

This does indeed sound like a fantastic rescue - hopefully one day soon we can find our new family member :-)

Thanks
Tim
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hello Tim
A warm welcome from us, good luck and we hope you find your forever friend soon to spend time in your beautiful country side.
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly
Timcooke
New User
New User

Post by Timcooke »

Hi Liz and co
Thank you! This does indeed seem a very friendly forum :-)
Does anyone know roughly how long it takes from applying to being able to get a new 4 legged family member?

Thank you
Tim
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Hi again Tim. I don't think there is any set time and I know at the moment with the Big Rescue going on things won't be "normal" anyway. Did you manage to speak to Gina or Glenys, you could try an email to Glenys as well. Also do you know if the application has been approved? I would say thats the first thing to find out, if it has you can contact Gina or Glenys about a dog that's put up for adoption on the site. The other thing to bear in mind is that there are lots of people on the waiting list for dogs, if you don't mind what sex, colour etc it will make it easier for you.

I adopted a 10 month old black lab in 2009 who became known on here as Gorgeous George, I've had labs for over 30 years, he was my first rescue and he turned out to be my dog of a lifetime, shockingly we lost him to haemangiosarcoma (a very aggressive cancer) in Nov 2016. I've been a follower and supporter of this Rescue, even though I live in the North of Northamptonshire (a southerner in some eyes) since 2005 and have seen how Glenys always goes that extra mile for any dog in need. This Rescue is run by incredibly dedicated people and the dogs always come first.
Joan and George x
Timcooke
New User
New User

Post by Timcooke »

Hi Joan

Thanks for the information. I'm really sorry to hear your loss of George, that must have been awful. Have you got a lab at the moment or are you waiting to adopt another?

I will give Glenys a call to see where things are up to and let you know

Thanks again

Tim
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Hi Tim, yes it was absolutely shocking losing George, he was as fit as a flea 8 yrs young, no grey hairs and that morning he collapsed. We rushed him to the vets he had totally recovered by the time we got there. The vet nurses thought he was about 4 yrs old as he looked so good and photographed him for their Pet of the Day page. We saw the vet he did bloods and an ultrasound scan, when we went to collect George we were told his organs had this cancer everywhere, they said it was so aggressive it woiuld have grown in about 3 weeks. One week from diagnosis he died.

I'm afraid it broke my heart as I had a very special bond with George and I haven't had another lab yet, perhaps one will come into our lives this year.

Hope you have some good news soon.
Joan and George x