Charlies new Blog - Regular updates from the lad himself!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LabRes1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Charlies new Blog - Regular updates from the lad himself!

Post by LabRes1 »

[led]RED,Donations received: 400 Pounds Vet Bills Paid to date: 250 Pounds Monthly Standing Orders total: 10 pounds per month[/led]

[paypalcharlie][/paypalcharlie]

Charlie's adventure
I arrived at my possible forever home to be greeted by my possible forever sister - Sandy. Boy is she one hot headed doggy - lots of barking, growling and showing me her teeth- Charming!

The humans are ok though - lots of hugs and strokes from them. The first couple of days, I've had to watch my step with Sandy and mind my manners - Ladies first out of the door ,otherwise she growls! Fortunately I am a sensible laid back lad and realize women never know what they really want!

It has been snowing here and I have been rolling round in the garden and nose skiing!! I also like eating snow but it is not good for me as it gives me tummy ache. I have managed to chew two leads - the female human keeps talking to people on my walks and at the vets and i get BORED - She will learn soon.

So far so good. I believe I am going on holiday next week to Norfolk - I might send you a few snaps of me and the hot headed one.
Thanks for taking an interest in my well being - Hopefully this really will be my forever home Charlie

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought you might like to hear more about my progress and the hot headed one!
Well today things really changed and the female human stepped up her game plan. She decided Sandy and I had to walk on her left hand side, together in very close proximity! Initially I was not very happy with this, as "hot head" kept wrinkling her top lip at me, but the human was having none of it and decided to "Dog Whisper"

I understood straight away that she was the boss but Sandy tried it on a couple of times but did not get any where. After 20 minutes of "togetherness" stopping and starting, changing direction we got it, and even Sandy realised there was only going to be one winner - our leader!

We had to do lots of "listening" as our leader kept changing directions and there were no voice commands - I was quite worn out by the end of our session.

Our leader seemed quite pleased with our final walk and commented that it felt like only having one dog. More training tomorrow I believe, but I am still keeping my eye on Sandy - I don't trust her just yet.

Later today, I realised my leader is quite musical and plays the piano. I snuggled in close and enjoyed listening. She's ok - only the odd Les Dawson duff note, but it sent me to sleep. She says I snore - which i find hard to believe.
Finally, I got some presents today - a new basket like Sandy's and a bone to chew (for powerful chewers) - She learning you know!
The diet is going well , day 2 over, but boy are the portions small - I'll be a shadow of myself before I know it.

Maybe my forever home dream may come true - keep watching for our next update

-------------------------------
Canine Hydrotherapist Training
Canine Therapies Academy
www.caninetherapiesacademy.co.uk
LabRes1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Charlies new Blog - Regular updates from the lad himslef!

Post by LabRes1 »

Charley Farley’s blog continued – Sunday 8th Feb

Well I thought you might like to see a few snaps of me.

Handsome that’s me!

Getting ready for a snooze!! This photo lark wears me out.

Doing the old paw routine – everyone’s a sucker for that! Look how big my feet are!!

Now the serious bit!

On Friday I went to meet Liz the vet – nice woman. We had a chat about my health care and needs. It turns out I have been over eating – oops – twice the daily portion I should have. I weigh 44kg’s. Liz says I need to weigh 36kg’s, so my food needs to be reduced – Meagre rations for me then – but it will help my health in the future.

I am allowed NO TREATS – not even a carrot! I need to be walked for 20 minutes 3 – 4 times a day and this must be consistent, as my insulin is measured against my exercise.

I am given my insulin after I eat my meals in case I decide to go on hunger strike – highly unlikely I think!!!
The pack leader seems quite organised and has my injections already drawn up in the fridge

She seems quite good at this injecting business, but I have since found out she is an insulin controlled diabetic herself. How lucky for me is that?I am going to see Liz again in 3 weeks to have a blood curve / insulin assessment. Hopefully I will have lost a pound or three and the necessary adjustments can be made to my regime. In the mean time I am carry on with my existing medication but if I have a hypo where I start to twitch, stumble and shake, my leader is prepared!

I know what you are thinking – I shouldn’t be eating mars bars!! Well these funsize bars are for emergencies and I can only have half to stabilise me. When I get home, I would then be given half of my next meal and the other half later on with no insulin.
Fortunately my leader has experienced 2 or 3 hypos and is aware of how it feels and what to look for.

As you can see, I have a long journey ahead to reach my goal weight and be re – stabilised, but my leader seems to understand this and is prepared to help me achieve a healthier lifestyle. Finally, I thought you might like to meet Sandy – or “Hot head” as I fondly refer to her.
Here we are after yet another training session with the pack leader – no lip curls or growls today!!

Sorry we have cut Sandy out a bit, but the pack leader hates having her photograph taken, and from this point down, she looks slim!!
Anyway, we look kind of good together – even though I say it myself.

Will give you another update before our hols

Thanks to everyone who is rooting for me – I am a lucky boy and very grateful.

Woof……… Charley Farley x

Canine Therapies Academy
LabRes1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Charlies new Blog - Regular updates from the lad himself!

Post by LabRes1 »

12th Feb

Hi everybody,

I am continuing to do well with my new regime. My collar is not as tight as it used to be and I can get my walking harness round my tummy now, so I must have lost some weight!

I am pleased to report a quieter week with "Miss Hothead" - I think she is getting used to me being here - well lets hope so.

The leader has taken to brushing / grooming me this week. I think it's a game and try to bite the brush, roll over and generally be un co- operative, but she doesn't give up easily though!

I have also been surfing the web today and thought the new website at "Chatelherault Primary School" was great. I felt honoured to be included on the site. As the children and Miss Rankin watch my progress, I will be keeping a doggy eye on them - work hard everybody and enjoy your half term break.

I have started to pack my bags for my hols - I don't know where the leader is planning to put her things in the car - travelling light is not my speciality!

Update again soon

Charley Farley - woof x
Canine Therapies Academy
LabRes1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LabRes1 »

13th Feb

Hi everybody

Well I've packed - my bed, toys, medicines, food, bowls, lead, harness and toilet bags - oh and the camera - I don't think I have forgotten anything!!

It has taken the leader an hour to weigh out our food - 32 portions, as we can hardly take my 15kg bag can we? Although I would make short work of it, if I was allowed near it!

The leader has already drawn up my week's insulin, and has the ice packs in the freezer ready for my cool bag. Insulin needs to be kept cold otherwise it loses it's effectiveness.

Oh a slight confession. Today I had to apologise to my male leader, as I chewed his walking socks whilst watching the female leader pack our cases. She thought I was quiet - now she knows what I was doing -I thought the socks were a toy, well that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!!

Fortunately when the male returned to our pack, he took it very well and laughed saying I'd made a good job!! Better not do it again though!
Today we went on my first "longer" walk - 40 minutes. I needed a sleepy on my return - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

I'll sign off now, an early start tomorrow.

Oh - just one last thing, I have bought Hothead a valentine card - I wonder if I will be getting one?!! :love3:

Lot of love

Charley Farley Woof xx
Canine Therapies Academy
LabRes1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LabRes1 »

Saturday 21st Feb

Hi, I'm back!!

We have had a lovely holiday in Norfolk. The cottage was small but cosy and my relationship with Sandy has improved immensely! No Valentine card - but hey at least she has stopped growling and barking. I think we had three lip curls / showing of teeth during the week ,so a big improvement.

The car journey was LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!! I travelled for about 2hours and then decided a pit stop was required, so I demonstrated how to grunt like a pig and bray like a donkey. It did the trick!! We finally arrived at the cottage.
During the week I did a bit of train spotting, lots of beach and costal walking and I tried bird watching, but I couldn't keep quiet or still!!
Brancaster beach was the favourite. Sandy and I were let off our leads to roam, chase and play. I think I must have got sea water in my ears, as the leader was not that impressed with my selective recall - but hey - I was having fun!
I also discovered I have a taste for shells. The leader was horrified and put me back on my lead. My excuse is these food portions - or lack of them!! Got to survive somehow!!!

I will send some snaps shortly so you can see Sandy and I in action.

On Tuesday I am at the vets. Blood curve / insulin assessment and you never know I might have lost some weight - Paws crossed.

Oh one last thing, the leader has decided I can stay FOREVER - I have finally found my forever family!!

ImageImageImage

The leader says she is still the boss, but I can call her Mum now!

Write soon
Charley and Sandy
Canine Therapies Academy
LabRes1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LabRes1 »

Norfolk

We got off to an early start. I sat in the boot of the car and Sandy sat on the back seat with the cases, food and water bowls. Mum got the worst deal squashed in the front with the dog food and food shopping for the first few days.

All was ok, but after an hour and a half, I had had enough, so started to bray like a donkey and generally rummage around in the boot. It did the trick as Dad pulled over and Sandy and I got to stretch our legs and christen a few shrubs and grass verges!

Back in the car, another one and half hours later be finally arrived.

Below is a picture of the cottage we stayed in:

Bit dark, but it did take foreverrrrrrrrrrrr to get there! Now, this cottage was once owned by Henry Williamson who wrote “Tarka the Ottter”. You can tell my new mum’s a teacher, never misses an opportunity. Look she even took a picture of the plaque on the wall.

The village was called “Stiffkey” pronounced – “Stuck key” by the locals. It was about 4 miles to Wells next the Sea. The village was very small with one store, pub, church and an antique shop. There were no footpaths and the road was very narrow. Fortunately, Mum found a public foot path nearby, which went over fields to Stiffkey marshes, so that was our local walk sorted.

We unpacked and settled into our new home. The cottage was small but cosy, so Sandy and I had a crash course in learning to become friendlier! Her we are relaxing by the fire – our favourite place in the evenings.

Mum couldn’t get us to sit together – I still had my reservations about getting too close!!

Over the week we did lots of walking along costal routes and on the beaches. Brancaster was our favourite and here we are “busy” doing what doggies do best!

The weather was very mild, bright sunshine and blue skies. Mum even took her hat off which is monumental – she feels the cold bless – diabetes you know.
Sandy and I had a good old “mooch” in the dunes and along the sand, Bearing in mind my rations have been drastically reduced, I decided I would try eating shells – not bad you know – when you are desperate. When Mum and Dad realised what I was up to, I had to go back on the lead – oops!

Mum likes this picture so much it is the screen saver on her school computer. When the children see it, they shout out “Ahhh, Sandeeeeee, Charlieee” They have even taking to drawing pictures of us!

As I said, we all had a fabulous week. Sandy and I became better friends – no valentine card for me though – Well there’s always next year!

Here we are posing with our Dad this time. Several people on the beach commented we had smiley faces and looked happy. If only they knew Miss Hothead’s little antics!

Since we have been home, Mum has been on the war path training again. We now have to sit together in her SMALL VW polo, in the boot, if we want to go for “special walkies”
We are getting the hang of it, but I am getting my own back on Sandy. I get in the car first being the bigger dog, and I sit right in the middle of the boot - helpful hey?! Mum has to shove me over and then Sandy “hops” in. She looks out of her window and I look out of mine!

Our next holiday is Easter and we are going to Scotland – Montrose, by the beach again – Yippee. Not looking forward to the drive. I wonder what I can do this time to make my point!!!

Serious stuff now.
On Tuesday 24th Feb I went to see Liz to have my “monthly review”. Mum thought I had lost weight and was eager to find out the results.
I had to skip my breakfast and have no insulin ready for the blood curve assessment. I stayed in for 12 hours – a long day.
Shelly the nurse gave me by breakfast and insulin and then she took my blood every 2 hours for Liz to analyse. I went out for lots of walks. Shelly said I was exemplary – a beautiful dog. I liked her!
When my results were in, my Mum was disappointed to learn I had not lost weight – not a gram, despite my meagre rations. How bad is that? Liz did say I looked more toned, but my food needed to be reduced again – not good news for a Labrador!!
I am now being fed as if I were a 32kg dog, the weight Liz wants me to be, but my insulin has been reduced by 2 units which is good. At least my supplies will last a bit longer.
So, I have another month before I am reassessed – hopefully I will be able to report some good news – I am trying very hard and never look for treats even though sometimes I am a bit hungry!

As always, thank you for taking the time to read my blog, and for your interest and support

I’ll write again soon

Charley

Woof xx

PS – Thank you Miss Rankin’s class and Alan for your extra donation to my funds – it is truly appreciated.
Canine Therapies Academy
LabRes1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LabRes1 »

13th March

Blog update

Charley's first hypo
Tuesday was a hectic night!!
Charley had his meal as usual then his injection. 20 minutes later he was stumbling around and I immediately realised what was happening and "got him back"
He was very lethargic and sleepy for 40 minutes, so I rang the vet as it was his first hypo here.
Liz wanted him in to be monitored. As I pointed out, Charley up to that point, had been in the garden and was due to go on his walks later in the evening, so I was quite surprised by the hypo.
Liz kept him in over night / next day for obs and glucose monitoring. His sugar levels were 2.7ml which is very low. A dog should be bewteen 5 - 10 ml .
The out come was his insulin needed to be reduced again - now 14 units, but his food remain the same. Charley had also lots 0.8kg in a fortnight since his last review , which was pleasing.
Basically his insulin level was too high for his weight reduction, exercise levels and food portions.
I have been warned this could happen several times whilst we are getting down to ideal weight, as balancing food, insulin, weight loss and exercise is not easy - I know this from bitter experience!!
We are back at the vets on the 24th March for an assessment / blood curve again.
Other than that, Charley is back to his bouncy self again. He is a real star and has won the hearts of the nurses who look after
him - particularly Shelly- What a charmer!!
Keep you updated
LOL
Samx
Canine Therapies Academy