Megan

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Megan

Post by Ann Mee »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: She sounds so much fun & such a character i'd love to be a fly on the wall

Ann x :2384:
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

She's a little cow* ! - she's now comfortable enough to give us lip, and does so regularly...

*correction, I've been told to say she's "lovely"

Anyhow, this might give you an idea of how she's getting on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sUpg38a4Ms
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Brilliant :rofl: she's a real tonic isn't she!

Don't know why you bother having the tv on - she's so entertaining :1972:

Alison x
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

:rofl: :rofl: Fabulous! I've just remembered why I love the oldies so much.. :rofl:
She is absolutely gorgeous; it's lovely to see you enjoying her :1939:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: she is sooo funny :rofl: absolutely gorgeous :love2: . I have a cow too who regularly gives cheek whilst waiting for her meals. She has to learn manners :2090:

You look to be having fun Megan, I'm not surprised you are exhausted with a pup with so much energy. I have just shown my Millie the video of Megan on my iPad she is intrigued :1968:

Ann x
Bob
New User
New User

Post by Bob »

So pleased Megan has found a forever home. She's a very bouncy girl too. Loved the way the rug in the video kept moving with her. Hugs to her. :bighug:
kayj
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kayj »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Enjoyed the video.Wishing you a long and happy life,it certainly will not be dull.

Kay.xx
mcca
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mcca »

loved your video she will keep you active
yep i am glad mine are lets say MATURE

anne jess and bracken :2373: :2373:
eamonnmoore
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eamonnmoore »

great piccys and video she should quieten down in a couple of [wait for it] years :1966: :2384:
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

I didn't think she looked entirely "labrador", I reckon she's got the look of a staffie about her, and the vet* reckons she's probably more collie.

*we use a mobile vet, and gave her a call to introduce themselves to each other

On the bright side, the price of Petplan cover for £7k/year went down from about £29 to £21 by changing the breed to "mutt" (sorry, "crossbreed")

Petplan probably wouldn't argue too hard with that finding, given that our vet won a Petplan vet of the year award, or something like that :-)

If you're in the St Helens / Merseyside area, and you're on Facebook, you can find Clare's page by searching for VetRound2U :-)
Makky
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Makky »

Congratulations on letting Megan adopt you :1951: loved the video please keep the updates coming I'm sure you'll never have a dull moment with her :2384:

:2385:
Bill Sandra & Rosie xx

Elwood 2000-2011
Sam 1988-2000

For ever in our hearts
Judynjake04
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Judynjake04 »

Hi thanks for the video, really enjoyed watching Megan play. Both ours are like that, things fly everywhere when they start to play. They usually get sent into the garden if getting too boisterous :rofl: :1967:
Leonette, Stuart and Rosie
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

Well, here we are a few days later...

She's settling in pretty well now, she's stealing less stuff, we get it back in pretty much one piece when we catch her and tell her to drop it.

As much as I didn't like the idea of them, even though the vet suggested one, I was able to get a large dog crate for free off Freecycle yesterday - it's not something we've used before, we like our dogs to be themselves...

To be honest though, it's been pretty easy to get her to use - we did a quick 15 minute trial to go to the local shops yesterday, and apart from barking for a couple of minutes (we listened outside :-} ) she was fine.

Later on, we went to watch a movie, and she barked for a moment, but that was it.

Finally, it allowed us to sleep upstairs for the first time in a week - she went in the crate, we went upstairs, we got about 3 "woofs", then silence !

It *will* only be a temporary thing until we can trust her to stop taking things we haven't specifically given to her.

Other than that, she's good now 80%-90% of the time, rather than the relatively wild thing she was last week. She still "mouths", and I'm full of bruises and scratches, but she's getting the hang of doing it "playfully", not to hurt.

We've managed to get her to use the dogflap to go the loo most of the time now (she was insisting on us opening the door for a few days).

The "mad half-hour" seems to have come down to "mad 15 minutes" which was nice :bravo:

Last but not least, she's starting to get the idea of coming to us when we shout her - probably only 10% of the time, but it's a start ! (missus says she's very good with her - 25% success ratio - so it's just me she's ignoring !)

We (ok, I) spent a fortune on dog related stuff in the last week, some of which hasn't arrived yet (laser pointer, high frequency whistle), but I'm going to start trying to use a clicker to get her attention next.

Some of the stuff I bought has been a waste of time, notably a flashing collar from Pets At Home - they have collars on offer with a number of flashing red LEDs around it, as well as a grey-looking reflective strip. Pretty much the first scratch starts to shred the reflective strip, and she had a habit of turning it off by rolling on the ground...

A better buy seems to be another collar they do (same price, £4) with a wider band and a plasticised reflective strip. This too is a flashing collar (3 modes, fast, slow, on), but it lights the whole "band", and looks great. You can see it in the picture here...

This is Meg / Meggy / Meggy-Moo / Oi come back (my usual call) - after a 20 minute walk chasing sticks this morning :-)

(or here if the above link isn't working)

http://i.imgur.com/MROOdUs.jpg
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Lovely to hear that Megan is settling down a bit. That photo shows how relaxed she must be feeling :1968:
Can't say I'm a fan of dog cages, although I may be in the forum minority on this point. I guess it's one thing for overnight but I would worry that in the event of a fire and you were out then she wouldn't stand a chance..
I am impressed with the dogflap training :thumbup: I didn't know you could get them big enough for labs to pass through. Probably couldn't get them big enough for my chunky boy :1967:
Last edited by Willow on 25 Feb 2013, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

Megan is gorgeous & that picture of her :love2: . Millie used to sleep like that when she was a lot younger, she doesn't anymore & I miss seeing it! Glad to hear she is settling with you, you may find she eventually likes her crate, a lot of people swear by them as they become the dog's own space & they feel secure & eventually they love them. At least you are getting a proper rest now

Good luck :1972:

Ann x