Megan

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

phoenixbbs

Re: Megan

Post by phoenixbbs »

When I said elsewhere that the lab we lost in November was the biggest labrador bitch we'd ever seen, I think she was either 45kg or 48kg when she was weighed just around the time she reached full size.

She wasn't really "plump" either, she was just tall ! (more "tall" than "wide")

The vet had to do a double-take and re-check because he couldn't believe his eyes !
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Emma T »

My Poppy is a dainty sized lab ie little! And she has brindling on her legs and her face. And given Auntie Glenys had mum and dad in the rescue we know she is a lab, she is also the spitting image of her lovely mum Grayse. I am no expert but I suppose given they are one of the most popular breeds in the world there are going to be huge variations! My Auntie lives in the US and her labs look different to your average UK labs.

I just love labs full stop :love2:
Emma
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

Well, per my previous concerns over her chewing cables has happened - luckily it was only low voltage LED lamps around the pond, chewed right through in several places...

What does worry me is there are three mains voltage cables that, although mainly protected from outside interference, are still accessible to her - one to a "power spike" double socket (trailing flex), a 12" flex to a permanent outdoor socket (beyond that it's in ducting), and the pond pump itself - again, ducted up to the point it enters the pond (below paving stones). Unfortunately, the feeds to all this lot is from the shed, which is more accessible as far as chewing access is concerned...

The whole feed to this is protected by a 30mA RCD, so hopefully it'd be a short sharp shock, rather than something that could kill :-}

I don't know what it is about her picking up rocks, but she's grabbing some weighing about 1.5kg and chucking them around the garden - most of the time she's after pebbles (about 1" diameter) and just toying with them, like a cat does to a mouse (fling and chase)... and flower pots (plastic or clay)...

She's been a little cow today anyway, and after having to go out in my socks to grab the chewed lighting from her, my wife got her in out of the way, and shut a door preventing her getting back out of the dogflap for a few minutes. You can guess what happened next...

In I come, having disconnected the lighting and putting it in the shed, only to stand in a large soft dump she's had by the conservatory door :-/

That's one pair of socks less to wash anyway...

Roll on tomorrow :-}
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

Well, I don't know what's up with her today...

She's been a little darling all day, slept most of the morning, very little "must chomp it !" in her (the first instance was after 4pm, and lasted about 5 minutes in total !)

She's now curled up next to me on the couch, dozing, getting gentle tickles from both sides (it's a corner suite)

I suppose the million dollar question is, what's she done that I haven't found out about yet ? :-p

Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: hope Megan's halo from yesterday hasn't slipped & you haven't discovered anything destroyed

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

We're a few weeks further on now, and we seem to be getting on ok, except for the odd slip-up (like yesterday, but we'll get onto that later...)

She's responding much better to verbal commands, sometimes needing a whistle blown perhaps 3 times, particularly if there's something keeping her attention (another dog or food), but 80% of the time she's spot on now, and we're starting to feel we can trust her off the lead in busier parks.

She's still a bugger for water, loves to swim, but has a particular liking for a particular cesspit overflow, which can be a hard job to talk her out of), but she loves to lie in shallow muddy puddles and blow bubbles with her head half-submerged.

We're not used to getting up at 6:30am (since the clocks went forwards, before then it was even worse), but despite our best efforts, she doesn't want to have a sleep in :-}

Yesterday was a bit of a nightmare though... up at her normal time, out the dogflap, and started to bark in the garden. She was refusing to come back in, and we couldn't see her, so we had to go looking... barefoot and topless in the morning frost.

I discovered she was under the decking at the back of the garden - no obvious way in, and just as many ways of getting her out - I could get her to the edge, but couldn't get her to wiggle out. My wife finally managed to get her out with the aid of treats (moving them out of reach as she got closer) - whereas I was just giving her handfuls to get her to the edge of the decking :-}

Off we went, back to bed, only for Megan to disappear again, and start barking... rinse and repeat - THREE TIMES she managed to get herself under there in the space of about 1.5 hours (the first two just minutes apart !).

It finally occurred to me that we had some large rocks we could use to block the access points, and peace was restored once more :-)

She's grown an awful lot now, and she seems to be about 8" taller when she jumps up at the window (she used to have to move (throw/attack?) plants out of the way to see properly, now she looks straight over the top.

I'm not sure if I'm writing too coherently at the moment, so I'll call it quits for now and blame Meg for that, lack of sleep :-)
Megsmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Megsmum »

Love your tales of Megan.
Perhaps you should consider writing a book! :rofl:
Keep them coming!
Helen and Merry x

Remembering my beautiful Meg 1992-2008 and my darling Mollie 2009-2018
supermum_2000uk

Post by supermum_2000uk »

phoenixbbs wrote:It's early days yet (it's her first day with us) - wow, she's a bit of a hellraising handful !

She's lovely, but needs a fair bit of "teaching" before she's safe to leave in the kitchen on her own yet - for such a small dog, virtually nothing seems safe on the worktops !

So far, she's:

Scratched and bit me all over (she's at the "mouthing everything" stage)

Discovered the loves fish food - knocked a big tub over, then moved all the conservatory furniture to get to what she couldn't get to on the window ledge...

...decided she likes it so much, she wants the food in a feeding ring in the middle of the pond...

...crazy about biting anything she can - most of which is ok, but she's gone through everything from plastic bottles, tennis balls, plastic ball pit balls, primroses, and rocks / stones (she seems especially keen on them, which we need to stop before you damages her teeth)

Digging. We've got holes in the garden, but she really likes trying to get through the leather couch - and when she's not trying to claw her way through, she quite likes to try to bite her way through :-}

Toys - she likes to take stuff, so far we've lost 3 duck ornaments from around (or in !) the pond, a beaver, and despite best efforts, she wasn't able to get the pond lights - only because the cable stopped her (they're low voltage, so can't hurt her, even if she did damage the cable)

Last but not least, she's curled up on the couch next to me quite happily, snoring :-)

I think we're all going to need a good night's sleep, ready for round 2 tomorrow !
don't you just love em! :love2:
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

Lovely update I also have one who won't sleep in, in fact her alarm went off at 4.45am this morning :2090: Fortunately I managed to coax her back to sleep.

Glad she is settling in :bravo:

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
Jamesons
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by Jamesons »

Well done for adopting her! She seems to be a bit of a handful at the moment, but am sure she will settle down! Love the pics!!

Andrew
http://mooandfizz.blogspot.com
supermum_2000uk

Post by supermum_2000uk »

phoenixbbs wrote:It's early days yet (it's her first day with us) - wow, she's a bit of a hellraising handful !

She's lovely, but needs a fair bit of "teaching" before she's safe to leave in the kitchen on her own yet - for such a small dog, virtually nothing seems safe on the worktops !

So far, she's:

Scratched and bit me all over (she's at the "mouthing everything" stage)

Discovered the loves fish food - knocked a big tub over, then moved all the conservatory furniture to get to what she couldn't get to on the window ledge...

awwww how cute! lol

Marg xx

...decided she likes it so much, she wants the food in a feeding ring in the middle of the pond...

...crazy about biting anything she can - most of which is ok, but she's gone through everything from plastic bottles, tennis balls, plastic ball pit balls, primroses, and rocks / stones (she seems especially keen on them, which we need to stop before you damages her teeth)

Digging. We've got holes in the garden, but she really likes trying to get through the leather couch - and when she's not trying to claw her way through, she quite likes to try to bite her way through :-}

Toys - she likes to take stuff, so far we've lost 3 duck ornaments from around (or in !) the pond, a beaver, and despite best efforts, she wasn't able to get the pond lights - only because the cable stopped her (they're low voltage, so can't hurt her, even if she did damage the cable)

Last but not least, she's curled up on the couch next to me quite happily, snoring :-)

I think we're all going to need a good night's sleep, ready for round 2 tomorrow !
aww how cute xxx
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

Here we are again, just over 3 months since we brought (dragged ?) her home with us...

She's doing great overall, 95% of the time now she's good as gold, but she still has her moments :-}

I want to know what the hell happened to "she's only going to be a small girl" !

Here's a few more pictures to keep you ticking along, I'll add another comment right at the bottom :-p

Now then... the next image shows pretty much all that remained of what was supposed to be a "tough" nylon material toy, approximately 3 minutes after getting it. Totally destroyed...

The final image for now shows just what a little unassuming love she is - when she's been out for a walk, we get out the bag of "special" goodies (i.e. not just regular bonio or gravy bones).

We put the bag on the floor, and let her choose what she wants - but she only ever takes one

Last minute edit: she's currently asleep under the coffee table she was biting in the first image at the start of this thread, but I'm being reminded of her presence by the "pffff" noise emanating from her backside every 90 seconds or so !
twig28
Senior User
Senior User

Post by twig28 »

:rofl: :rofl:

Wonderful pics. You can tell how settled she is and how loved. :love6:

Now about the bag of treats my Mazy would pick it up and run for the garden at full pelt. :1966:
Amy, Steve
Tilly, Meisha, Pip, Coco and Mazy
Miss our old girl everyday. RIP darling Katy.
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

Another lovely update. At least she is getting there :1966:

Usually, according to my vet, they start to develop a brain at about 3 years old - if your'e lucky!
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
scubakim
Senior User
Senior User

Post by scubakim »

I always enjoy reading your updates on Megan as Murphy adopted us at the same time Megan adopted you and we remember her at MKF - had Murphy not given us his best 'pick me' waggy tail and hips - well who knows!

She looks like she's having a ball and has got you just where she wants you :rofl: Just like Murphy has with us :1968:

The pictures are lovely and show a very happy girl :love5:
Kim, Murphy & Amy x